Welcome to our online courses in Philosophy. These courses were designed for use at Unlimited school in Christchurch, New Zealand, but are freely available for use elsewhere. Note: assessment activities attached to these courses were derived from standards contained in the New Zealand Qualifications Framework.
Please choose a course from the following list:
- Philosophy through the centuries - Brent Silby (Learning Advisor)
- This course offers an introduction to philosophy through the exploration of theories developed by some of history’s most significant thinkers.
- Philosophy and God - Brent Silby (Learning Advisor)
- Does God exist? This is an ultimate metaphysical question that most people grapple with at some point in their lives. In this course, students examine the standard arguments for and against the existence of God and decide for themselves whether belief in God can be rationally justified.
- Philosophy of Mind - Brent Silby (Learning Advisor)
- Does the color green look the same to you as it does to me? Is it possible to build a conscious robot? Is consciousness merely a product of brain activity? Can minds exist without brains? Come along and join the fascinating discussions in Philosophy of Mind.
- Ethics - Brent Silby (Learning Advisor)
- Is abortion morally justifiable? Should we put murderers to death? Should I steal from the rich to feed the poor? In this course we explore methods used to answer these questions. Students will be given the opportunity to lead class discussion.